I love iced tea, but I get bored with plain ol’ tea. I don’t like the prepackage ones because I don’t know what is in them – so I make my own in quart mason jars. Then I get the variety I want and I can pack one in my lunch to take to work!
It’s pretty simple –
What you need:
- Quart Mason Jars
- Tea bags (your choice)
- Fresh herbs and/or fruit
- Sugar or honey (optional)
How to Do it:
Place your choice of sweetener in the bottom of the jar. Add herbs, being sure to crush them in your hand first to release the oils (if adding fruit, gently crush to release juices). Place the tea bag in the jar and cover with hot tap water. Place the lid on tight, give it a shake and let sit outside in the sun for 8-10 hours.
Refrigerate. Remove the teabag, herbs and fruit before drinking. Drink straight from the jar (what I do when I take it for lunch) or pour it in a glass full of ice.
Here are some really good combinations:
- Green tea, lavender, honey
- Green tea, peaches, rosemary, honey
- Black tea, strawberries, basil, honey
- Black tea, lime, thyme and sugar
- Black tea, cinnamon stick, apple slices
- Black tea, mint (I like chocolate mint), honey
© Copyright 2016 The Lazy Gastronome